If you are a fan of Pinterest, you have probably seen some amazing furniture transformations. Refinishing a piece of furniture such as a desk, may seem like a daunting project, but it is actually much easier than you think. Here are some easy steps on how to paint furniture so you can take an used desk and transform it into something stylish.
1. Make sure to thoroughly clean the piece of furniture.
2. Remove all the drawers and hardware.
3. Use wood filler if needed to fill in any holes are scratches so that the paint will apply evenly and you can get a clean finish.
4. Sand away any excess wood filler with fine grit sandpaper.
5. Lightly scuff the entire surface of the desk and drawers with super fine grit sandpaper. You don’t have to spend a lot of time on this. You just want to scuff it slightly so that the primer will adhere to it. Once you are finished, make sure to wipe down all the surfaces again to remove any dust.
6. Prime. Look for a primer that says “adhesion” on it. If will stick to the surface better. You can use an angled brush and a mini foam roller to smooth if needed. You only need to apply one coat of primer and then wait for it to dry.
7. Apply the paint. A water based acrylic alkyd enamel paint, like Pro Classic from Sherman Williams, works well. The enamel formula gives it a harder finish like an oil based paint. You will probably need to apply at least two coats.
8. Once everything is dry you can put the drawers back in and reinstall the hardware. Enjoy!
McAleer’s has the largest selection of Used office furniture on the Gulf Coast! Stop by today to find your next DIY project. You can also visit our Pinterest page for great furniture transformation ideas and more tips on painting and refinishing.